JOB OPENING: PRESS SECRETARY
Title: Press Secretary
Location: Remote with East Coast hours
Reports to: Communications Director
Status: Full time/exempt
Invest In America is a national war room on the front lines of the fight for robust public investment like the American Jobs and Families Plan. With regular communications with key lawmakers on the Hill, top advocacy groups, and leading political strategists, Invest in America’s small but mighty team is in the thick of the push for big, bold investment in infrastructure, caregiving, clean energy, housing, schools, education, and much more.
Invest in America consists of two components: Invest in America, the charitable and public education arm; and Invest in America Action, the advocacy and social welfare arm which actively engages in real-time public policy and political fights.
The Press Secretary will assist the Communications Director in pushing the public narrative towards those advocating for full investment in American families and communities, and away from fear-mongers who use deficit concerns and obstruction as a scapegoat to starve communities of resources and opportunity.
- Content Creation: The Press Secretary will work with the Communications Director to write a steady stream of rapid response statements, press notes, messaging guidance, and backgrounders for reporters to respond to the news cycle and promote Invest in America’s products and events; will also be tasked with drafting op-eds, sign on letters, and other long-form writing as needed.
- Media Relations: The Press Secretary will work with the Communications Director to secure earned media coverage advocating for robust public investment and to leverage Invest in America’s surrogate & validator network in the press.
- Event Support: The Press Secretary will support the communications director with logistics for regular press events, both nationally and in target states, featuring U.S. senators, former Cabinet officials, top economists, and high-profile advocates. The operation typically executes 1-2 press events each week.
- Media Monitoring: The Press Secretary will monitor media coverage of public investment to spot trends and opportunities for rapid response; will also compile and circulate daily clips to the team.
The ideal candidate:
- Has 2-3 years of communications experience in a fast-paced environment, ideally on a political campaign, in government, or in an issue advocacy setting.
- Possesses strong project management skills and has a keen attention to detail.
- Is a strong writer who enjoys synthesizing complex topics into both long form pieces and concise talking points; experience writing op-eds in different voices is a plus.
- Has a demonstrated ability to pitch stories and develop relationships with national and/or state reporters; strong relationships with Congressional reporters, economy reporters, and/or TV bookers is a plus.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, please send a resume and writing sample (op-ed, sign-on letter, speech or similar longform piece that demonstrates and the ability to clearly and concisely communicate policy) to [email protected] with “Press Secretary Application” in the email subject.
Candidates who identify as members of historically underrepresented groups are encouraged to apply. Learn more at investinamericanow.com and investinamericaproject.com.