FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
May 3, 2021
Maddy McDaniel, Communications Director
NEW DIGITAL AD: A MODERN-DAY MOONSHOT
[Invest in America]
73% of Voters, Including 67% of Independents and 57% of Republicans, support the American Jobs Plan
WASHINGTON, D.C. — Today, Invest in America launched a digital ad, “Moonshot,” emphasizing the need for crucial public investment like the American Jobs Plan and the American Families Plan, a down payment for the nation’s future success, growth, and prosperity.
The ad evokes President John F. Kennedy Jr.’s Moonshot speech to frame the historic investments in clean energy, caregiving, infrastructure, and jobs as a modern-day moonshot that will propel the country to the forefront of the global economy. View the digital ad here.
“President Kennedy inspired America to go to the moon, saying, ‘No nation which expects to be the leader of other nations can expect to stay behind,” said Zac Petkanas, senior advisor to Invest in America. “Those words are all the more resonant today as we face the challenge of recovering millions of jobs lost during the pandemic, transitioning to a clean energy economy, revolutionizing our system of caregiving, and retaking our place as a world leader in technology and manufacturing. With the game-changing investments like in President Biden’s American Jobs Plan and American Families Plan, we can do more than rebuild — we can lead again with a more equitable and prosperous future.”
Americans need major public investments to address the problems exacerbated by the pandemic.
- The U.S. labor market is still down over 8 million jobs from pre-pandemic levels.
- According to the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE), the United States faces a $2.59 trillion shortfall in infrastructure investment and $5.9 trillion in infrastructure needs, including rebuilding and repairing roads, bridges, schools, and protecting access to clean water.
- ASCE predicts that failure to address the nation’s crumbling infrastructure could cost the United States $10 trillion in GDP, more than $23 trillion in total output, 3 million jobs, and more than $3,300 in a family’s annual disposable income.
Infrastructure and economic experts agree that a multi-trillion dollar investment in infrastructure will boost the economy by creating millions of jobs and increasing productivity.
- S&P Global projects that the Build Back Better plan’s public infrastructure investments will generate 2.3 million jobs by 2024, inject $5.7 trillion into the economy, and increase per-capita income by $2,400.
- According to the Economic Policy Institute, infrastructure investments are consistently estimated to provide greater economic stimulus than almost any form of a tax cut.
- Increased public infrastructure investments increase output in both the short and long term, per the International Monetary Fund.