FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
April 28, 2021
Maddy McDaniel, Communications Director
[email protected] or 914-471-7716
*** PRESS CALL WED. AT 1:30PM ET — RSVP HERE ***
PRESS CALL WED. 1:30PM ET: FMR ED. SEC. ARNE DUNCAN, NDWA’s AI-JEN POO, NWLC’s FATIMA GOSS GRAVES, ECONOMIST DISCUSS THE AMERICAN FAMILIES PLAN
71% of Voters, Including 64% of Independents and 58% of Republicans, Support Investing In Care Infrastructure
President Biden Will Unveil the American Families Plan at the Joint Session of Congress — A Major Investment in Caregiving and Education
Investing in Caregiving Would Create Millions of Jobs and Generate Hundreds of Billions of Economic Activity
WASHINGTON, D.C. — On Wednesday, April 28, at 1:30pm ET, former U.S. Secretary of Education Arne Duncan, National Domestic Workers Alliance’s (NDWA) Ai-jen Poo, National Women’s Law Center’s (NWLC) Fatima Goss Graves, and economist Lenore Palladino will gather for a press call hosted by Invest in America ahead of the Joint Session of Congress, where President Biden will unveil the American Families Plan, a major investment in caregiving and education. The group will discuss the urgent need to invest in care and education, and the potential economic impact of those investments. Register for the press call here.
The coronavirus pandemic has exposed and exacerbated pre-existing cracks and inequities in the caregiving economy, as a lack of affordable care and paid leave forced more than 2.3 million women out of the workforce and pulled women’s participation in the labor force to the lowest it’s been since 1988.
According to research from Lenore Palladino, robust investment in the care sector would create millions of new jobs for the women hit hardest by this crisis, generate hundreds of billions of dollars in new economic activity, and allow millions of women who have been pushed out of the labor force to return to their own careers.
- Former U.S. Secretary of Education under President Obama Arne Duncan
- Ai-jen Poo, Co-Founder and Executive Director of the National Domestic Workers Alliance.
- Fatima Goss Graves, President and CEO of the National Women’s Law Center
- Lenore Palladino, Assistant Professor of Economics & Public Policy at University of Massachusetts Amherst and fellow at the Roosevelt Institute.
- Secretary Duncan, NDWA’s Ai-jen Poo, NWLC’s Fatima Goss Graves, and economist Lenore Palladino will discuss the proposed investments in caregiving and education in the American Families Plan, and the economic case for investments in care.
- Wednesday, April 28, 1:30pm ET
- RSVP for the press conference here.