FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
March 25, 2021
Maddy McDaniel, Communications Director
[email protected] or 914-471-7716
*** VIRTUAL PRESS CONFERENCE — REGISTER HERE ***
PRESS CONFERENCE TODAY 12PM ET: SEN. HEINRICH, FORMER EDUCATION SECRETARY JOHN KING, CHILD WELFARE ADVOCATES DISCUSS IMPACT OF AMERICAN RESCUE PLAN ON CHILDREN
Speakers: Sen. Martin Heinrich (D-NM), Former U.S. Secretary of Education John King, Children’s Defense Fund, New Mexico Voices for Children
Provisions in the American Rescue Plan Will Cut Child Poverty in Half in the Short Term; Boost Test Scores, College Enrollment, Health Prospects, and Future Earnings Potential for a Generation of Children in the Long Term
Urban Institute: COVID-19’s Disproportionate Effects on Children of Color Will Challenge the Next Generation
WASHINGTON, D.C. — Today, March 25 at 12pm ET, Invest in America will host a virtual press conference on how the American Rescue Plan’s public investment will slash child poverty and create long term economic opportunity for children across the country. Register for the press conference here.
Children, particularly children of color, have experienced immense hardship during the pandemic. The provisions in the American Rescue Plan, particularly the Child Tax Credit Expansion, direct checks to most Americans, and funding for food assistance programs, will work together to reduce child poverty by half.
Research shows that alleviating poverty has positive ripple effects throughout a child’s life, from increased test scores and college entry rates to better health outcomes and future earnings.
- Senator Martin Heinrich (D-NM), Vice Chairman of the Joint Economic Committee
- Former U.S. Secretary of Education under President Obama John B. King Jr.
Emma Mehrabi, Director of Poverty Policy at Children’s Defense Fund
- James Jimenez, Executive Director of New Mexico Voices for Children
- Sen. Heinrich, Secretary King and child welfare advocates will analyze how the American Rescue Plan will cut child poverty and create long term economic opportunity for children across the country.
- Today, March 25 at 12pm ET.
- RSVP for the press conference here.